Fembryo Fertility & Gynaecology Clinic
Fembryo Fertility Clinic – Gqeberha/Port Elizabeth
The simplest definition of infertility is the inability to conceive after a year of unprotected, regular sexual activity
or the inability to sustain a pregnancy to live birth.
A semen analysis is the easiest and most cost-effective test that a couple can undergo to determine fertility potential.
A semen analysis is considered current if it has been obtained within the last 6 months and performed by a reputable laboratory using acceptable criteria. Semen analysis that shows abnormal values should be rechecked no sooner than 4 weeks prior to any assisted reproductive treatment.
The Parameters For A Normal Semen Analysis:
- Motility > 30%
- Forward Progression > 2
- Count > 15 mil/ml
- Antibodies (MAR Test) > 50%
- Morphology ⩾ 5%
Semen quality can always be improved through lifestyle changes. Smokers should be advised to stop smoking and be placed on antioxidant supplementation (Vitamin C 1gm/day and Vitamin E 400ugm/day as well as folic acid). Men should also not consume more than 4 units of alcohol a week and should be encouraged to eat green leafy vegetables. These lifestyle changes should be undertaken for a minimum of 3 months before a change can be seen in semen quality.
It is advised for the male partner to have a semen analysis done beforehand as tests take a few days and these results are required to make an accurate diagnosis. Please note that the procedures and requirements can be seen below:
- You need to abstain from intercourse for 2-4 days, exactly.
- The specimen must be obtained by masturbation and passed in a sterile container that you can get from us or any pharmacy or Doctors rooms.
- The specimen needs to be at the Laboratory within ONE HOUR after collection.
- Samples can be delivered Mon – Thurs between 9 am and 2 pm and Fri between 7 am and 12.
- We are a cash practice so payment is required upfront and then can be claimed back from your medical aid.